Sunday, January 21, 2007

Nu Labour - Success at last!




It appears that Nu Labour finally has something to celebrate. After a long time waiting, one Nu Labour policy has finally started to bear fruit and so I offer my heartiest congratulations.

Oh sorry, what I am referring to?

A hostel in Cardiff is banning British people from staying there.

Hostel owner Sion Llewelyn did not want to comment but told the South Wales Echo that the rule was because he did not want unruly British guests spoiling the experience of foreign visitors.

In all fairness (cough, splutter) the Commission for Racial Equality (CRE) Wales has written to the hostel asking it to remove the advert stating that it is illegal.
HOWEVER, Mr Myant of the CRE acknowledged there could be reasons why such a restriction had been imposed which had nothing to do with racism.

"We are not after punishing people because I think I can see some reasons why people running a hotel providing very cheap accommodation might want to restrict it to certain groups and that might have nothing to do with racial prejudice."

Well, of course, I'm sure Mr Myant knows his job better than I do, but as time draws on I think one of the defining questions of 2007 must be:

When is racism not racism?

(I'll give you a clue, when the victim or victims are ?????)

BBC link

No comments: