Thursday, November 30, 2006

Is it me .....

I readily admit to being fairly unsophisticated when it comes to politics, I tend to work on the principle that a lie wrapped up in spin is still a lie.
An absence of all the facts when reporting something so as to deliberately tell a different story is to my mind still a lie.

Anyone who tells me I am just being naive may as well move on as I am sick and tired of being bullied and cajoled into feeling that somehow I am out of step. In the "real world" in which I live, people tend to be honest and straightforward with each other and I really do not see why this principle cannot be extended to the media and to government.

I don't often watch the news, especially on the BBC, as I prefer not to invite liars into my home. However, in a uncharactaristic lapse of concentration I happened to catch a bit of the news whilst pouring myself a cup of tea.

The news item was about road pricing and it prompted me to look on the BBC news web site for further information, an extract is as follows:

"The Government says it will work closely with Cambridgeshire and the other eight authorities through the Road Pricing Local Liaison Group to develop a consistent approach.
Advocates hope that if drivers had to pay up front for journeys they might begin to change their habits.
At present car costs, which range from breakdown cover to the wear on tyres, are more hidden than the price of a bus or train ticket.
On the other hand, road charging without alternatives can be seen as a blunt weapon.
Motorists may view it as simply another tax on drivers, more about raising revenue than helping with the environment or tackling congestion. "


As anyone who reads this will know, what causes congestion is more traffic. If everyone who can drive has a car, and yet we are still getting busier and busier on the road, how can this be happening, it is a complete mystery is it not?

No of course not! It is not a mystery at all is it.

It is the same reason that I cannot use the hose pipe I bought with my own money, it is the same reason that my council tax has shot up, it is the same reason why all services in this country have deteriorated, why my livelihood and that of many people I know is being threatened, the same reason the country side is being concreted over, the same reason that rubbish is piling up, the same reason why more Airport space is needed, the same reason that pollution is increasing, the same reason that free speech has been curtailed ....... the list is endless.

The door is open, everyone is being let in and these are the consequences. Politicians can do something about them or don't do something about them; the media can report on them or not report on them, I don't really care.

But please, stop lying to us about them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not feeling so blue anymore?

Leonard Deakin said...

Having a day off from feeling blue, I am sure the feeling will return again soon!